Friday, June 25: 2Samuel 18-Listening to subordinates.

Today’s reading is the account of the battle between David and Absalom’s men. I recall no references to God and no prayers prayed.  I also recall a disobedient general who expressly disobeys the king and kills the king’s son in battle when he could have simply captured him.

God, is this Your word? Where are the life lessons??…

Like chapter 16, the contents of this chapter are important to move the story of David’s kingship forward but it isn’t chock full of obvious God-teachings… such is the nature of some parts of scripture. This, however, does not mean that it is less valuable as God’s word.

So I sit with it open before me and ponder and pray and meditate…

God’s judgments prevail… as a consequence of David’s sin with Bathsheba.  God said, "This is what the LORD says: 'Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel'" (2Samuel 12:11-12). Surely this is being fulfilled in the Absalom incident.

There is wisdom in listening to one’s subordinates. David wants to go into battle but his generals prevail, knowing that if David falls, the battle and sacrifice of many thousands dies. David backs off his valiant desire and listens to his generals. There are times as leaders that we don’t have the full picture or the correct understanding.  Counsel -wise counsel- is the difference between disaster and victory. David knew enough to listen. He discerned the wisdom in their counsel and he followed it…

God is there amidst real life.  Much of life is like this chapter and by this I mean, much of life is going about the things one has to do.  Today I have a number of meetings about seemingly mundane issues and yet they are necessary.  And God is there with me…

Lord, thank You that You are with me everywhere I go and in everything I do. Help me to recognize You, to look and listen for Your leading in all I do… in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment