Tuesday, June 8: 2Samuel 3-Holding grudges.

Joab was a piece of work! He was a valiant soldier, a general and a man of action.  Often he had insight into the motivations of others (you will see this in chapter 19), and he held grudges, big time!

During the battle between Ish-Bosheth and David, Joab’s brother Asahel was killed in the line of duty by Abner. Asahel was a casualty of war And Joab never forgot.  He nursed his brother’s death… looking for an opportunity to get his revenge.

Well, Joab’s day came.  David, in essence, signed a treaty with Abner that would end the war and solidify David as king over all Israel. Abner came in peace and Abner left in peace. It was a good day for God’s people. Unfortunately, Joab saw it as an opportunity to exact his revenge. During a clandestine meeting with Abner, Joab kills him in cold blood. MURDER!

A murder’s curse is spoken over Joab and he will get his due.  You will have to wait till 1Kings 2 to see how and when.

Nursing a grudge doesn’t always result in murder but neither does it end up in God honoring behavior! This is where God speaks into my life today. The not so gentle whisper of the Spirit warns me about holding grudges… “Don’t do it,” God says. “Learn to forgive,” God repeats.

Lord, walk with me through my memories.  Am I holding grudges? Am I carrying resentments? Am I harboring hurtful memories? Lord, show me that these are the ingredients of failure and left unchecked they will stew in me creating a bitter stew…

Lord, teach me to forgive. It’s Your defense against grudges and the like… in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment