Monday, June 28: 2Samuel 20-A case for confession.

As I have been reading the accounts of David, more than once I have had the nagging thought, “Why does David look a blind eye at the unrighteous and murderous acts of Joab, his general?” It happens again today. When Amasa is charged with rallying the army instead of Joab, Joab kills his rival at the first possible chance he gets.

Joab was a skilled general and a ruthless person who would do anything to maintain his position. Why would David allow his general to act this way? Why would David pretend not to know? How is it that David’s reign isn’t tainted by this ruthless murdering general?

I have no ‘spiritual’ answers for this. My only thought is that David was a pragmatic. He knew Joab to be a powerful person and an excellent general, so David didn’t press the issue.  As  we will come to see in 1Kings, David waited for a most opportune time to discipline Joab for all his treachery.

One thing I do realize is that as good an example as David is, he is far from perfect. David, like all of us, had his flaws and blind spots. The more I think about David, the more I suspect that he knew he was flawed. Psalm 51 and others, though written for specific incidents in his life, show that David understood his need to confess his failings to the Lord and seek God’s forgiveness.

And that is a thought worth acting upon today myself.  Using David’s words I pray from Psalm 51…:

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. …

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. … O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise (1-17).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment