Wednesday, June 9: 2Samuel 4-Honor

Mulling over this short chapter, the word ‘honor’ continues to ping-pong around my mind. Certainly David wants the war to end, for Ish-Bosheth to surrender and transfer his tribes to David but David will not resort to murder. So when men anticipating a reward bring Ish-Bosheth’s head as proof of his death to David, David gives them a murder’s welcome. They are killed for their self-acknowledged murder of Ish-Bosheth.

These are difficult times. I can’t relate to all the blood and death and murder and execution. I am used to the rule of law, with courts and trials and jury’s verdicts. But my day is not David’s day. As king, his word was law.  Justice was swift and only as honorable as the king who enforced it. David rises to the top. He will not resort to God dishonoring activities to secure his kingdom. He will not honor murders. Once he does, anarchy will reign and vigilantes will rule.

David stays above the fray…

Not all leaders are so noble. Some corporate CEO’s, union bosses, and people of power, line their pockets at the expense of workers, shareholders and others who trust them.  Such is the sin-filled nature of we human beings.

Strive for honor… the text reminds me. Live with integrity… the chapter enjoins me.

Father, the temptations and the stakes are not as great in my life as they were for David or are for a high profile leader. But temptations still abound. Temptations to take credit for things not my own, for manipulating others to get my way, or for seeking my will at the expense of others. Forgive me when I succumb and Lord God, show me the signs of trouble in my heart before they can grow into full blown sin…

I love You Lord and I know my heart is deceitful… I surrender my life and will to You, O Lord my God. Amen.

 

1 comment: