Wednesday, June 30: 2Samuel 22-What songs are your singing?

It isn’t clear the time frame for this psalm. Is it toward the end of David’s reign? Is it after being rescued from Saul? I could not really tell. This led me to wonder if this psalm wasn’t recorded as a representative of the songs that regularly flowed from David’s heart. The more I contemplate this, the more I think it so. The annals of the king is a snapshot of his life... so one psalm is included so we can see this aspect of David’s life. The Book of Psalms records the breath of songs that gushed from David’s heart. This one psalm is just a sample, an example of his songs…

My mind flipped. David sang of the strength and wonder and rescue of the Lord. This psalm is a praise melody to God’s greatness and God’s providential care of David’s life. What do I ‘sing’ about? Does my heart sing of the Lord? Do my lips regularly praise God for His care of my life? Am I as trusting of the Lord as David? Do I rely on him as much as David did? Do I sing to my children and those about me the wonders of the Lord or do I sing the wonders of myself?

Questions swirled… questions that cut to the heart of my life. Do I depend on the Lord as deeply as David apparently did?

Lord, this song of David opened a doorway into my interior life. I have much room for maturity and growth. O, Lord…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment