Saturday, June 26: 2Samuel 19-The role of leader

 

I found myself thinking about David. The battle is over. David’s son Absalom, the traitor, is dead. Even though Absalom betrayed his father, David’s heart broke and he grieved when he learned his son was dead. As I mulled that around I think I can understand David. After all Absalom is his son. It seems that Absalom was a favored, maybe even his favorite son. Maybe the grief was born from guilt that somehow David had failed Absalom? The text is silent as to the source of David’s grief.

The dilemma for David is that his grief for his son is not received well by his men. Having just risked their lives for David, they don’t understand. They feel betrayed. Joab confronts David and now the leader has a choice. David chooses to set his grief aside and encourage his men. (A wise choice I might add.)

Decisions like this are the lot of leadership. Leaders face critical choices like this where they have to set aside personal needs, desires, even feelings for the good of the organization. If you are not a leader you might not understand but there are times when leaders have to make difficult, even heart wrenching decisions… such is the call of a leader. Times like this can be incredibly lonely.

If you are a leader… know that God is with you… and your choices in critical situations will make or break the organization you lead. Learn from David, seek God’s wisdom and do what’s best for your organization.

If you are not a leader… pray for those who lead the organizations and churches of which you are a part. Believe me, they appreciate your prayers.

Lord, in my role as leader, help me make the best and wisest decisions for those I serve as I lead. And when I am not the leader, help me to support those out front, praying for and encouraging them.   And should you give me a Joab moment, may my counsel be wise and helpful. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment