Friday, May 4: -Ezekiel 20 - Then you will know.

At least five times the words repeat themselves, Then you will know I am the Lord (20, 26, 38, 42, 44). When God repeats something my ears perk up.

God was speaking to Jerusalem through Ezekiel and to me today through Ezekiel.

Everything God did was so that Israel would know that He is the Lord! Miracles, redemption, the plagues in Egypt, giving Israel the Promised Land, correction, rebuke, rain for crops, no rain for crops… everything was done so that Israel will know that their God is the Lord.

Is the same true in my life? As a Christ-follower, a member of God’s family today, is everything a pointer to the Lord, my sovereign, majestic, almighty Lord?

What would be the alternative? That some things are merely random, the role of the cosmic dice… this thought isn’t particularly comforting.

Another alternative could be that there is something called fate, some power at work in the world that interconnects people, places, events, etc. Fate sounds a lot like ‘god.’ But why believe in some unknowable fate-god when I can believe in the revealed God of the Old and New Testament Scriptures?

Another alternative could be that I create my future. This equation is satisfying when things are good. I like taking credit for things when they turn out well! But this is less satisfying when things don’t go well. When my stocks plummet I like to blame someone else. For me this alternative isn’t a satisfying solution.

No, I am willing to rest in God that everything, those I deem good and that which isn’t, comes through the hand of God and is meant to point me to Him…

Lord, as I live my day today, help me to see You and Your hand in the little and big events that speckle my today. Seeing You throughout my day, that’s a good thing. Yes, that is a very good thing. May I see You today. Through Jesus, whom I love and serve. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment