Wednesday, May 2: Ezekiel 18 - Thank God for GRACE.

Reading this chapter, I have visceral reactions and a nervousness in the pit of my stomach. On the one hand I am relieved that the sins of my fathers are not imputed to me. But then again, the righteousness of my Father’s is not imputed to me either.

There is an alone-ness to standing or falling on one’s life alone. Since I am not perfectly good or horribly bad, I try to imagine the spiritual strain this chapter applies. How good is good? How righteous is righteous?

I start out bad and sin regularly but then have a change of heart and live righteously. Thanks be to God that He will not hold my sins against me.  However, do I have to be perfect? What if the change of heart comes shortly before I die? Was I good enough??? These are the questions I have.

Flip the coin over. I am righteous all my life but then something happens I do not handle well and I sin. Is one act of sin enough to cancel the righteousness previously lived?

Like I mentioned my reaction to this chapter is visceral.

Fortunately it ends on a positive note: For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live! (32). This chapter’s intent is to call the unrighteous to turn home (repent) and live…

I have one more thought before I slow down my thinking to pray. Thank God for Jesus and for the grace of the Gospel where belief in Jesus, not personal perfection, is the standard for living and the entrance into relationship with God and the guarantee of eternal life. Thank God for grace in Jesus.

Grace, grace, God’s grace. Grace that will pardon and forgive. Grace, grace, God’s grace, grace that is greater than all my sin. …

Lord, I am blessed to know You and to receive Your grace lavishly and undeservedly. Your grace is greater than all my sin! Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment