Saturday, May 12: - Ezekiel 27 - Pray for the country.

The opening 24 verses describe a robust economy. Tyre had it going on…ship-building and trading were her mainstays. Things were rolling along…

How many city-states and nations were at one time in the same boat, sailing along comfortably enjoying fair skies and following seas? How many?

The pages of history are littered with like stories. Economies come and economies go.

One issue, as I meditated this morning, is that when times are good we look to ourselves and our ingenuity and our brilliance and we make an idol out of ourselves. Eventually things crash down around us.  We are not meant to be God and eventually mistakes catch up with us.

Tyre never did accept the Lord and eventually God said ‘enough’, and they were no more. As the lament puts it. Your wealth, merchandise and wares, your mariners, seamen and shipwrights, your merchants and all your soldiers, and everyone else on board will sink into the heart of the sea on the day of your shipwreck (27).

I wondered about my nation.  We seem to be straying further and further from the Lord. How long will God allow us to stand?

“Pray” was the next word from the Lord I heard. Pray for my country…. Pray for a humbled heart, not just for the candidate I think is best. Pray for a renewed heart…. Pray.

Lord, I pray for my land, my country. I pray. Lord. that we will seek You. That the values You espouse, like the worth of every human, compassion for those in need, a system that honors You and so forth, will valued here….

Lord, forgive our sins… for they are many.

May Jesus’ name be lifted high here and throughout the earth. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment