Monday, May 14: Ezekiel 28 - EEEKS. Pride!?!.

Tyre had been getting hammered by the Lord these last few days. I cannot say for certain that the opening of chapter 28 is the only reason why, but it is definitely a significant part of Tyre’s sin… 28:1-2: The word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "'In the pride of your heart you say, "I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas." But you are a man and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god.

PRIDE… pride is a mighty sin that burrows deep within the human soul, hollowing out all that is good and leaving only waste behind.

Pride at its deepest root says, I am god. I am in control. I am good. I am master of my future. I made myself what I am. I… I… I…. Pride squeezes out any need for the Almighty. Pride kills dependence upon God or anyone else for that matter. Frank Sinatra sang one of the great pride-songs of all time, “I did it my way.” The great hit that it was shows how susceptible we humans are to PRIDE.

But God says to the ruler of Tyre, But you are a man and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god. These are stinging words of rebuke for Tyre’s ruler and everyone who becomes puffed up with pride.

These observations led to a gut check. Has pride crept into any corner of my life? Have I allowed it entrance? Have I nursed it along? Do I feed the sin of pride in any way in my life?

These are important self-evaluation questions… lest I receive the ‘back of God’s hand’ for allowing PRIDE to take root in my life.

Much to think about…

I woke today singing a song. It seems a fitting prayer as I close my time with the Lord.

Thank you for the cross, Lord. Thank you for the price You paid. Bearing all my sin and shame, In love You came And gave amazing grace

Thank you for this love Lord. Thank you for your nail pierced hands. Washed me in Your cleansing flow, Now all I know, Your forgiveness and embrace

Worthy is the Lamb, Seated on the throne. Crown You now with many crowns. You reign victorious
High and lifted up, Jesus Son of God. Darling of Heaven crucified, Worthy is the Lamb. Worthy is the Lamb

Worthy is the Lamb, by Hillsong United

 

No comments:

Post a Comment