Tuesday, May 8: Ezekiel 23 - Prostitutes.

The picture Ezekiel paints is graphic. Samaria and Jerusalem are prostitutes of the worst order. And Jerusalem, the younger sister, didn’t learn from the destruction of Samaria, instead she grew even more depraved, lusting after sex with the most potent of ‘Johns’.

Pointed and sad is this picture by God through Ezekiel.

I thought, we don’t automatically learn lessons from history. Jerusalem had the advantage of being second. She could have learned from Samaria’s mistakes and chosen a different path. But she didn’t.

The same happens today, individually and corporately. We don’t automatically learn from those who go before us. So how does that work in my life?

I will keep repeating the same or similar mistakes if I don’t consciously learn from them and deal with the underlying issues that push me to make those mistakes.

I may very well fall prey to the same sins and mistakes that my friends and those who influence me make unless I intentionally change my behaviors when I see them stumble and fall.

It has been said, “Those who don’t know history are destined to repeat it.” That is very true. But knowing history isn’t sufficient. One needs to choose different paths and make other (better) choices in order to not repeat it.

How are you doing on this matter?

O, Lord God, Heavenly Father, help me to make wise choices to emulate those who do good and to not fall into the pitfalls and traps of those who stray from You. Lord, help me to follow the lead of Jesus and to pay attention to the voice of the Holy Spirit, whom You and Jesus have sent to those who love and follow Jesus. In Jesus’ name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment