Monday, May 21: Ezekiel 34 - The tide is turning.

 

I have walked out on to the flats at the Bay of Fundy at dead low tide only to find myself half-mile or so from shore when the tide turned. It was an exhilarating walk back to shore, trying to keep shoes dry ahead of the incoming waters. Fundy has the most dramatic tidal change in the world. It is something to see.

Ezekiel’s remaining message is changing. Jerusalem has fallen and his focus now is much more about hope and future than punishment and judgment.

The shepherds of Israel are assailed (beware leaders in God’s house… God’s leadership call is to tend the flock watch out for oneself!) but then a word of hope emerges.

"'For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land. I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign LORD.I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice (11-16).

Listen to what God will do.  Notice all the “I’s.” I count a dozen in these six verses!

God will come and do everything for His people that they hoped for from their kings and leaders. God will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak… The Lord will be their God and they will be His sheep, the sheep of His pasture (31).

I enjoyed the imagery of this text, turning over and over in my head the wonder of God being my shepherd and me being a sheep under His care.

I invite you to spend time with this image. Don’t dash off, linger.

Consider, too, flipping the pages of your Bible to Psalm 23 and praying that Psalm as part of your prayer time this morning…

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever…

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment