Friday, February 26: Genesis 41- Waiting.

The very first sentence grabbed me. When two full years had passed, Pharaoh had a dream… (1a). The two full years drew me in.

I wondered what those years of waiting were like for Joseph. The cupbearer was free and promised to speak on Joseph’s behalf. But he didn’t; he forgot. And so Joseph continued to wait in prison.

I am not a good wait-er. I grow impatient. I think and stew, fret and wonder. And yet, waiting is part of life, and as I have found, waiting is when the Lord does some of His best work in my life.

While I wait, God is at work in me and in the situations and circumstances of my life.

Recently my church transferred from one denomination to another. It was a long ordeal, just a month under 6 years. Sometimes we were actively working and negotiating, other times we were simply waiting. At times the waiting seemed interminable.  However, thinking back over the years of waiting, God did some amazing things during that time.

My timing and God’s timing were different and God’s timing was right and it was best.

Joseph must have learned much about waiting and God being at work in the darkness of waiting. I’m sure Joseph was surprised where God took him when he was finally released from prison. Honestly to go from prison to 2nd in control of the country, is a leap no one could have imagined. But that is what God did only after Joseph was forced to wait two full years!

Waiting doesn't guarantee a super outcome but it is often part of God’s plan. And God’s plan is always right.

Waiting, God is reminding me, is part of His maturing process for me and you who are His children.

So what do you think about waiting…???

Lord, help me to follow the lead of the Psalmist who wrote: Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD (Psalm 27:14). We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield (Psalm 33:20). Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes (Psalm 37:7).

O, God, help me to learn to wait for Your time… In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment