Wednesday, February 3: Genesis 21- Water.

Reading this chapter I was reminded how important water is to life. Honestly, I take water for granted.  I turn a tap and I have all the clean drinkable water I need, but this is not so for much of the world today.

Water is essential for life, without clean drinking water people die. Hagar and Ishmael were in the throws of dehydration and death when Hagar found the desert well. And Abe made a treaty for the well at Beersheba to protect his flocks and people. Water is essential.*

My mind flipped to Jesus. the Master Communicator, who used water to connect and communicate with a woman at a well. Jesus told her about living water (John 4:10), which was a metaphor for the spiritual life Jesus gives us when we put our faith in Him.

I spent the rest of my time with the Lord this morning thinking about all the ways Jesus brings life –vital spiritual life –into my life.

When was the last time you sat and contemplated all the goodness and life Jesus brings into your world? 

Lord, Jesus, thank you for bringing Your life into my life, for filling me with a purpose and a desire to know You, love You and serve You all the days of my life. What a delightful drink of water my time in the Word and with You has been this morning. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

*I recently read the book “A History of the World in 6 Glasses” by Tom Standage. I found it to be a fascinating look at world history through the lens of 6 beverages. Underneath these 6 beverages is our human need for safe water. If you want a different look at the world, this might be a read you find worthwhile.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment