Saturday, February 20: Genesis 36- A God's eye view.

Most of the Old Testament follows the chosen people of Israel, who are just being formed through the sons of Jacob. But today we gain a glimpse of some of the other people who inhabit the world.

Esau, Jacob’s brother, was not the line of blessing, but God did promise to bless him. And this is plain from yesterday’s reading and today’s. Esau had herds and sons. Like Jacob, God’s material blessings were flowing through Esau, as God had promised.

But the Lord still had a plan and that was for Israel (Jacob) to inherit Canaan. In this chapter I saw a wink of God fulfilling His will.

Esau took his wives and sons and daughters and all the members of his household, as well as his livestock and all his other animals and all the goods he had acquired in Canaan, and moved to a land some distance from his brother Jacob. Their possessions were too great for them to remain together; the land where they were staying could not support them both because of their livestock (6-7).

Esau was in the superior position. He has lived in the land, Jacob was afraid of what he might do when Jacob returned and yet Esau decided to move after he saw Jacob’s herds. Amazing. But in this smallest of acts, God was seeing that His will came into being.

God is at work in the small details of life as well as the BIG ones.

God’s view of things is that He is working His will into being.

As I pushed back from the text to today, this was a great reminder for me that God is still working His will today. And His will is that all will hear the name of Jesus and disciples will be born again from every tribe and language and people group around the world.

Remembering and dwelling on this, I was nudged to pray…

Lord, use me to advance Your will, the name of Jesus near and far. Take my hands and feet, my eyes and mouth, my heart, mind and will, and allow me to spread Your name and fame across this globe. In Jesus’ name and for the sake of my God, Father, Jesus, Spirit, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment