Tuesday, February 9: Genesis 26- Sins of the fathers.

I find it astounding that Isaac would pull the same stunt that Abraham did, referring to his wife as his sister. It didn’t work for Abraham either time he did it and as we learn today, it didn’t work for Isaac.

Even as I scratch my head regarding Isaac’s foolishness, I realize I, too, fall into the sins of my father. For example, my dad avoided family conflict. When I was first married my natural response was to avoid conflict with my wife. It took me years of growth to deal with this life-trait. Avoidance remains my immediate response, but I have learned over the years that my initial response is not the healthiest way to handle problems.

As a pastor, how many times have I seen issues like addiction travel from generation to generation?

Some of this sin transfer seems to come from patterning in our family of origin. This often needs counseling or mentoring to break.

But some, I have learned, can be a generational sin-issue that needs to be dealt with through prayer and prayer ministry.

We humans are highly complex beings and the differences between the two roots of generational sins are not always immediately apparent and require discernment.

Isaac’s story is a strong reminder for me that there are generational connections with some sins.

I recognize that some of the issues I raise in today’s writing might be new to readers.  Please feel free to contact me if you would like to talk more about this. Also, if you are near Greenwich CT, my church has a healing ministry, if we can assist you with prayer in any way.

Father, help me, help us to all grow to health and maturity. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment