Thursday, February 11: Genesis 28- Coming of age.

It hit me as I read this chapter that it represents Jacob’s coming of age, spiritually speaking.

Spending the night at Bethel, he has a vivid dream where he hears the blessing of God. The covenant promise first given to Abraham, and then Isaac, is now bestowed upon him. So convincing is the dream that Jacob pledges himself to the God of his fathers, Abraham and Isaac.

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the LORD will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth” (20-22).

To truly be a follower of God there comes a point in a person’s life when the faith of their father and mother becomes their faith. They own their faith; they tend it and cultivate it. They care for and nurture it.

This, it seems, happened for Jacob that night in Bethel.

For me it happened one night in Muhlenberg, PA when I stepped into my Christian faith, no longer out of duty and the religious upbringing my parents bathed me in from birth, but because I believed. I now owned my faith and took responsibility for cultivating and nurturing my walk with my Lord.

I had no special dream, no audible voice from the Lord, but prompted by the invitation of a friend, I took the step of faith to believe and pledge allegiance to Jesus Christ. As my Lord, He has led me from that day forth…

Have you taken that step of faith? Have you come of age to where You own your faith? You take responsibility to nurture and grow it? I pray you have.

Think about it…

Jesus, Father, Holy Spirit, I am grateful for the faith of my parents and for the faith You birthed in me. Today, again, I pledge to follow where You lead and go where You send me. I pray this in my Savior’s name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment