Friday, June 17: Psalm 107- Days of pain; days of growth.

The group of Psalms we are in continually invite readers to give thanks to the Lord and to praise the Lord. Each then has its own slant on the reason behind this appropriate response.

Today the invitation is spoken in the final words, Let the one who is wise heed these things and ponder the loving deeds of the LORD (43).

‘These things’ refers to the various movements of the Psalm, where the loving deeds of the Lord are recounted. Interestingly, the deeds of the Lord recounted in this Psalm included various hardships (see 4-7) and even included judgments or punishments that drew Israel back to the Lord (10-16).

I don’t normally consider hardship or correction loving deeds of the Lord, but this Psalm caused me to stop and think. Why is that? What is the value of being drawn closer to the Lord?

In my life I can look back and see many hard days that blossomed into new spiritual growth. Whether these days were correction for some wrong I committed or were the result of the sin in this world, I cannot say for sure. I will also say that I would not choose these days, these days of pain and hurt, but looking back God was at work. My life is different, more reflective of my Savior and His character, because the days of hardship built His character into my life.  I would not exchange one moment of the pain for pleasure if it meant that I also lost the closeness gained with the Lord during those days.

Such is my connection with this Psalm and with the Psalmist who penned this Psalm.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their story— those he redeemed from the hand of the foe, those he gathered from the lands, from east and west, from north and south (1-3).

Lord, You have redeemed me from the pit of hell when You gave me new life in Jesus. You have redeemed me over and over again from hardships this sin filled life doles out. I will speak Your praises and tell Your story as I live my days, so that others see, hear and turn to You. Amen and amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment