Tuesday, June 21: Numbers 2- God banner over me is love.

During my college Christian fellowship days we sang a song that came from Song of Solomon 2:4: He calls me to his banqueting table, His banner over me is love. The heart of the song was the line, His banner over me is love.

I don’t know whether I truly understood it, but I liked singing about God draping His love over me.

That song flooded my memory as I began reading today’s chapter.

The LORD said to Moses and Aaron: “The Israelites are to camp around the tent of meeting some distance from it, each of them under their standard and holding the banners of their family” (1-2).

The idea of the each family camping under their standard, holding the banners of their family, jogged the memory of the song. The standard bore the name or the insignia of the family. The standard or banner declared who the people gathered under it belong to.

All those years ago we were singing God’s standard, God’s name, God’s identity that we were gathering around was LOVE!

God is love (1John 4:8) we are told in the NT. In the Song of Solomon, by analogy, we are told God is love and we gather or are named by gathering under His love….

This naturally led me to consider the many ways God’s love flies over my life and protects my life. God truly is love and I have experienced His love in countless ways. This morning I absorbed myself in God’s love and pondered His love for me.

Join me in meditating on the love of God over you…

Lord, God, You are love and Your love has flooded my life in so many ways. Help me, Lord, not to hoard Your love but to share it with all the people I meet today. May I extend to others what You have extended to me… love. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment