Thursday, June 30 Numbers 10- Perfect trust is hard to do.

I am not sure if I was encouraged or disappointed by Moses. I think more encouraged rather than discouraged. Here’s why.

In verses 29-32 we read: Now Moses said to [his] father-in-law, “We are setting out for the place about which the LORD said, ‘I will give it to you.’ Come with us and we will treat you well, for the LORD has promised good things to Israel.” He answered, “No, I will not go; I am going back to my own land and my own people.” But Moses said, “Please do not leave us. You know where we should camp in the wilderness, and you can be our eyes. If you come with us, we will share with you whatever good things the LORD gives us.”

As I read the words I bolded, I realized Moses needed someone to trust. God had promised to lead Israel, but Moses wanted his father-in-law to lead and show the way.

This exchange doesn’t seem like it should come from a paragon of faith. And yet, Moses is a paragon of faith. As I pondered this, a number of thoughts ricocheted within me.

Even the ‘best’ of us are imperfect this side of eternity. Moses, as great as he was, wasn’t perfect. And this encouraged me because my imperfections don’t disqualify me from being part of God family or even being a difference maker in God’s family. God takes us as we are and still can use us!!!

A weakness one moment doesn’t preclude strength the next. We ebb and flow in faith. Just because this conversation revealed a chink in Moses armor doesn’t doom Moses to a life of failure. Great victories are won after inauspicious starts.

The Lord doesn’t abandon us for being imperfect and being human. God loved Moses and God would use Moses to lead Israel to freedom. And God can and will use us, no matter our past or our present, if we turn and trust Him even if our trust is imperfect. 

The more I spend time letting thoughts ricochet around my mind, the more encouraged I am to live today for the Lord. And when momentary lapses of faith happen... admit them and move on, striving to trust Jesus with every breadth.

Yes, a good day in God’s Word.

Lord, help me to live for You every day. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment