Thursday, June 9: Psalm 100- Refreshment.

It is refreshing for me to step into the Psalms today. After 4 weeks in Leviticus, today’s Psalm is a deep breath of cool mountain spring air. Since Psalm 100 is so brief I have printed it in its entirety. Breathe deeply of the Lord as you read it…

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

Worship the LORD with gladness;

come before him with joyful songs.

Know that the LORD is God.

It is he who made us, and we are his;

we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise;

give thanks to him and praise his name.

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;

his faithfulness continues through all generations.

As I read this Psalm over and over, life rushes into me. Sitting in the quiet of the morning, I read it over and over. Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. “I know, I KNOW,” my heart cries. I am so blessed to know the Lord is my God, so blessed indeed.

I never really knew my grandfathers. My Dad’s dad died before I was born and my maternal grandfather died before I went to kindergarten. I don’t have any memories of being with my grandpa. The only ‘memories’ I have are from a few family pictures.

The images and feelings this Psalm creates in me is what I imagine it would be like to climb up into my grandpa’s lap, have him cradle me in his big strong arms and rock back and forth in a rocking chair.

“Tell me a story, grandpa,” I would ask.

And grandpa would weave a tale of adventure and rescue with some laughter and a happy ending mixed in. He would hold me and tell me how much he loved my parents and me. And life would be safe and fun and good.

With this Psalm I climb into Grandpa God’s lap… and I am glad to be there and He is glad I am there. And God whispers to me, “I made you and you are Mine. I will care for you and watch over you. I love you and will forever and ever.”

My heart melts in this safe place. “Thank You, Grandpa God. I love You, too. I am so glad I am Yours…”

Thank You, Lord, for this wonderful morning with You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

PS: here is a link to a wonderful interview between Eugene Peterson (author of the Message translation) and Bono on the psalms: https://fullerstudio.fuller.edu/bono-eugene-peterson-psalms/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment