Saturday, June 25: Numbers 6- .

The Nazarite vow, was quite extensive. People making that vow needed to be vigilant in their dedication during the time of the vow. It reminds me that when we give our word to the Lord, we are to keep it!

What caught my heart today and drew me to linger was the Aaronic blessing, verses 24-26

The LORD bless you and keep you;

the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you;

the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.

This is the blessing God instructed the Priests to speak over the people. This is the blessing God wants for His people.

I found myself contemplating being ‘kept’ by the Lord. There are shades of ownership… God’s keeps us because we are His. He cares for us, the Lord protects us and He keeps us!

The phrases that really touch me are the next ones…

The Lord makes His face shine upon us… I just sat and tried to picture this… God smiling on us. That is quite a blessing… that the Lord would smile on the people. I picture a Father smiling at his infant child. A parent smiling as his child marks a milestone or an achievement or greets the returning parent at the door. Not long ago my daughter was married, and one of my favorite pictures is walking her down the aisle. The smiles on my face and her face were radiant. I was so happy for her. God tells Aaron to bless the people invoking God’s smiling face to shine on the people. What a blessing… God delighting in his people.

And if that isn’t enough, the next line blesses the people with the Lord turning His face toward them. Again I pictured this, God turning His face toward His people. What a gift!

I am reminded that God would not let the people see His face. Moses who asked to see God was hidden in the cleft of a rock and only allowed to see the back of God’s head. And yet the blessing Aaron is to speak is that God would turn His face toward His people! What a gift, a gift that won’t happen until we are with God in glory when we can see Him face to face…

This blessing amounts to being able to see God in His wonder and glory. Such is the blessing God instructs Aaron to speak over the people

What an amazing blessing!

God longs to bless us with Himself… the gift beyond gifts.

And so I sat with this… and the longer I sat the more I longed for the fullness of this blessing…

Oh, Lord, I long to know You in Your fullness. To see You face to face, to watch Your smile of delight grow on Your face as you gaze upon Your children. Oh, God, to know You fully, even as I am fully known. I pray for the fullness of this blessing to be realized… for me and for all of Your children. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment