Wednesday, June 29: Numbers 9- Wisdom to know when not to answer.

Verse 8 drew me in. Moses is presented with a problem.

Through no fault of their own some Israelites could not celebrate the Passover at the appointed time. They immediately went to Moses and asked for a ruling concerning when they could celebrate the Passover.  I love Moses’ reply to them.  “Wait until I find out what the LORD commands concerning you.”

For a full year Moses has been leading them. He has been up the mountain with the Lord face to face. He has constructed the Tabernacle according to the Lord’s precise command. He has dealt with and judged grievances great and small. If anyone could have replied immediately, it was Moses.

But he did not render his judgment and decision. Instead Moses holds his tongue and replies that he must first confer with the Lord on this matter… a matter not previously addressed by the Lord.

Wisdom… true wisdom.

In this case true inspired wisdom knew when to be silent.

Not answering, not speaking, saying, “I don’t know, let me find out” can be some of the most difficult answers to learn, especially when you are the regular ‘go-to-guy’, which Moses was!

Moses knew what he knew and knew what he didn’t and apparently he also knew when to ask God about something.

None of us knows the mind of God and when Scripture isn’t specific, there are time when our best answer is “I don’t know…” or “I am not certain…” “let me ask the Lord and see what He tells me!”

Moses never sought to step into God’s shoes and act as if he was the voice of God when he didn’t know God’s will or didn’t have God’s direction! Brilliant and faith-filled.

When Scripture isn’t absolutely clear or I do not know enough of God’s Word to be sure of God’s intent, I (we) need to be humble like Moses, Wait until I find out what the LORD commands…

Oh, God, may I have growing humility to know when I do not know… and then turn to You for Your answer. And, Lord, even when I do know what Your Word has said on a matter, help me to have the humility to let people know it is not ‘my’ wisdom they need but Yours…

I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment