Thursday, June 23 Numbers 4- Caring for the others in God's body.

How holy are the temple articles? So holy that only priests can see the most holy items and only after they are prepared for travel, which includes packing, covering them with 2 different covers and placing the carrying poles in them are Levites able to come and do the carrying. Of the most holy things, those in the inner sanctuary it was said, But the Kohathites must not go in to look at the holy things, even for a moment, or they will die” (20).

The absolute sacredness of the things of God is preserved.

This last line, grabbed hold of me.

The absolute sacredness of the things of God is preserved and expected… what does this mean for today when we no longer have a temple and an ark?

As I was reminded yesterday, today’s temple is the people of God, believers in Jesus, the church. So what does it mean to preserve the sacredness of the church? As I sat with this, some thoughts emerged:

·         Preserve the purity and fidelity of the church to God’s Word. Am I faithful; are we faithful to the Word of God? Will I defend the plain understanding of the Word rather than capitulate to pressures of the world? Will you?

·         Preserve the unity of the body of Christ. Am I one who works to maintain the unity of the Church? First let me think locally… do I honor the diversity of the local church and honor each person who makes up the church? Do I avoid favoritism (see James 2:1) treating each person as part of the body? Thinking beyond the local expression of the church will I honor sisters and brothers who differ in non-essential interpretations?

·         Preserve the peace of the body of Christ. Am I one who stirs the pot, riling people up unnecessarily with the tidbits I pass along? Do I speak gruffly, agitating rather than calming? When parties are at odds do I, when appropriate, seek to be a peacemaker (Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Matthew 5:9). Do you?

God’s church is God’s presence in the world.  Do I treat it as sacred, preserving and honoring it, as if it were the Lord Himself? Hmm, I have much more to ponder about this.

Lord, as I honor Your church, I honor You. May I do so well. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment