Thursday, September 1: Deuteronomy 22- Things not to mix.

Verse 9-11: Do not plant two kinds of seed in your vineyard; if you do, not only the crops you plant but also the fruit of the vineyard will be defiled. Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together. Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.

These verses have always been a bit of an enigma for me. I don’t understand them nor do I get why this is such a big deal.

I was so perplexed that I did some research but that added nothing particularly useful. History apparently has lost the reason for these distinctions being made. This of course doesn’t mean that there were no reasons back in Moses’ day for these distinctions.

Certainly God had His reasons for these laws, even if it was a ‘test’ of sorts; something God required to create distinction between His people and the rest of the world. And were I a follower of the OT covenant I would need to follow them because they are God’s Word. Since they aren’t repeated in the NT nor would one come up with these as a way to love God and love others, they are not laws I need to follow.

One interesting side note. These texts helped lead the elders and me to a decision years ago. We were discussing how to pay for some church improvements and one thought was raise the money and pay as you go. Another was raise the money but also get a line of credit so we can do everything needed even if all the funds didn’t come in. The issue wasn’t contentious, we just didn’t have a unifying way forward. As is our custom, we paused to pray and after a few minutes of prayer I asked if anyone heard anything from the Lord. One elder said,  “I heard Deuteronomy 22: 9-11.”

They looked it up and read it. Honestly, I and a number of elders were still perplexed. Then another elder (different from the one who received the guidance about the Scripture) said, “I know what it means.” The elder went on to say that by raising money and taking out a line of credit we were mixing two things that we shouldn’t do together.

In that moment we all had an ‘ah ha’ and a divided board became unanimous; we would raise what we needed with no line of credit.

Looking back God honored that decision, the campaign and renovations were a success.

I think this story came to mind because God can use any portion of His Scriptures, even parts I don’t fully understand.

Keep reading the Word and trusting God, who is its Ultimate Author.

Lord, thank You for Your Word and the way You can break in and move a group to follow Your Will if we will stop and listen. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment