Tuesday, September 13: Deuteronomy 32- Songs of faith.

While I was reading this song of Moses, I kept thinking about some of the great and lasting songs of the Christian faith. Song, words with melodies, has a way of burrowing more deeply and more memorably into the human psyche than words alone.

I thought about how songs have led people over the centuries. They have led people in faith. They have led people into battle. They have led people on expansion. Song has a forceful sway.

I returned to my initial thoughts and considered some great classics of the Christian faith, songs that teach as well as inspire… Martin Luther’s

A mighty fortress is our God,

a bulwark never failing;

our helper he amid the flood

of mortal ills prevailing.

For still our ancient foe

doth seek to work us woe;

his craft and power are great,

and armed with cruel hate,

on earth is not his equal.

 

And Reginald Heber’s

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!

Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.

Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,

God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

 

And Joachim Neander’s

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!

O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!

All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;

Praise Him in glad adoration.

 

Titles began tumbling, Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee; God of Grace and God of Glory; All Hail the Power of Jesus Name; Praise My Soul the King of Heaven; O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing; Be Thou My Vision,… then classic Advent, Christmas, Good Friday and Easter hymns came to mind. Oh my, the songs of faith that have carried pilgrims for centuries.

The Lord knew what He was doing when He inspired Moses to pen this song and others to pen the songs of the Psalms. And even more powerful, Moses’ song and Psalms are inspired Scripture.

Lord, I am basking in Your glory this morning. Singing songs of faith that praise and exalt You, my Lord and my God. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment