Thursday, September 8: Deuteronomy 28- The strong pull of sin.

When I step back from this chapter I think, who would not opt for the blessings rather than the curses. The contrast between the two is immense and so polar opposite.

Reading the blessings, I thought I would sign up for that; in fact I wondered who would not. And then when I read the curses, I was, “No way. I would avoid that like the plague.”

I wondered what would possess anyone not to seek the blessings and avoid the curses. I looked back at what I had written and the word ‘possess’ struck me. Sin has a hold over us…

In Romans 7:19 Paul writes For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Such is the power of sin. Israel may have wanted to follow the Lord, but the pull of sin, sinister and often subtle, pulled them and pulls us off track.

Israel had no chance fully obeying the Lord.

It was as if God tapped me on the shoulder and said, “The power of sin is still that strong. Don’t underestimate the power of sin”..

Then in the next moment the Father reminded me that I am not alone in my battle with sin. Through faith in Jesus I have been given the promised Holy Spirit. I now have the power of God within me to defeat sin.

I remain a very fallible human being but God, the Holy Spirit. is with me helping me to grow and defeat sins schemes. I am a work in progress but thanks be to God I am not alone.

Lord, I am so grateful for Your Holy Spirit who leads and guides and empowers me to follow You, Jesus. I know I have much to learn about listening to and following His voice. But I am growing and I ask You, God, to help me grow more and more until my dying day. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment