Tuesday, September 6: Deuteronomy 26- Declaring ones fidelity to the Lord .

When I think of the tithe, I think of giving 10% of my income to the Lord. And while that is at the heart of the tithe, I was intrigued by the declaration that the tither made to the Lord as he gave his tithe.

Then say to the LORD your God: “I have removed from my house the sacred portion and have given it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, according to all you commanded. I have not turned aside from your commands nor have I forgotten any of them. I have not eaten any of the sacred portion while I was in mourning, nor have I removed any of it while I was unclean, nor have I offered any of it to the dead. I have obeyed the LORD my God; I have done everything you commanded me. Look down from heaven, your holy dwelling place, and bless your people Israel and the land you have given us as you promised on oath to our ancestors, a land flowing with milk and honey.”

The comments regarding obedience really grabbed me. I have not turned aside from your commands nor have I forgotten any of them.… I have obeyed the LORD my God; I have done everything you commanded me. I don’t think I ever realized that as one was giving the tithe she/he declared their fidelity to the Lord and His commands.

This gives the tithe increased significance for me. Not only is the tithe a monetary dedication to the Lord but is accompanied by a vow declaring fidelity to the Lord.

If I truly open my heart to this new insight it should affect me each time I place my tithe in Sunday mornings offering plate.

How about you?

Lord God, continue to show me the depth of what You were teaching Israel about the tithe as a statement of fidelity to You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment