Friday, April 27: -Ezekiel 14 - The heart of God for the People of God.

Some of the elders of Israel came to me and sat down in front of me. Then the word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all? Therefore speak to them and tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the LORD will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry. I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols' (1-5).

The words I bolded leapt off the page. Immediately other verses from previous chapters chimed in (3:23 is one example: …. And then you will know that I am the LORD.). The punishments, the correction, the exile, all come from the heart of God trying to get the attention of His people so that they will return to Him! In other words, they are redemptive!!!

God is not vindictive, capricious, or despotic. God is redemptive. God is constantly calling His people home. God’s desire, through these judgments, is that His people will turn to Him and repent.

I thought about that. It doesn’t make God’s discipline feel any better. I have never liked correction from God or my parents or anyone in authority over me. However, to know that God’s correction comes from a heart that longs to live in relationship with me and I have broken that relationship so the desire is that I change so that the relationship can be restored.  Well, that means a great deal to me.

I sat with this thought rummaging through my mind… it brought and was bringing life to me. God loves me and longs to live in relationship with me, with you!

Think about it…

O Jesus, O Jesus, how I love You…

My Father, O my Father, how I love You…

Holy Spirit, Comforter and Counselor, how I love You. Amen

 

An additional thought: No comment simply an observation. "For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: How much worse will it be when I send against Jerusalem my four dreadful judgments--sword and famine and wild beasts and plague--to kill its men and their animals! Yet there will be some survivors--sons and daughters who will be brought out of it. They will come to you, and when you see their conduct and their actions, you will be consoled …" (21-23).

Interesting isn’t it, that Ezekiel will recognize those who will not face God’s correction by their conduct and their actions. I thought about that, too… Happy meditations.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment