Monday, April 30: Ezekiel 16 - .

A word about Ezekiel

    Ezekiel’s ministry as a prophet began in Babylon speaking to the Jewish exiles during the last days of Judah, just prior to the fall of Jerusalem. Until the fall of Jerusalem, Ezekiel's message was to show the people their sin, and the inevitable judgment that would come as a result of their sin. After the fall of Jerusalem, Ezekiel began to stress God's intention to restore Jerusalem and the temple. God will remain faithful to his covenant with Abraham and David.

 

 

Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you (60). I spent my meditations on this verse. For me it is a mind-bender.

God spent the first 59 verses excoriating Jerusalem, calling her a harlot and prostitute, worse than her older sister Samaria. Paragraph upon paragraph God lambasts Jerusalem as unfaithful. Then out of the blue, with no warning, comes verse 60, Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you.

My mind and senses are not sure what to do with this. I have no earthy or human scenario with which to relate this.

God will NOT forget His covenant! His word is His bond.

I realize one place I cannot go is to presume upon God… “Oh, I am in the covenant, I have no fears. In the end God will save me no matter how I live or what I say or how bad I become…” And yet, I cannot dismiss the fact that once God gave His Word in covenant, He would fulfill it.

In the end I sit and marvel at the faithfulness of the Lord. God is so totally other and I am driven to my knees in humbleness………….

Oh, God, how is it You called me? I deserve nothing. In Jesus You gave everything. My only response is, “Oh, Oh, praise Him. Oh, Oh, praise Him.  Alleluia! Alleluia! Allelu-uia!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment