Thursday, April 12: -Ezekiel 1 - Beyond description.

I don’t really understand this picture… living creatures with four faces; wheels within wheels, next to each creature. When the creature moved, the wheels moved. Honestly, I don’t get it. It all seems so fanciful, as if someone were attempting to describe something beyond their understanding.

Ezekiel continues to paint his picture with words… ‘then there was a voice and the appearance of a man but a man that defies description, though Ezekiel tries’. The reader has the sense that we are peering into heaven and the figure is the Lord. The chapter concludes, This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking (28). It is the Lord and immediately Ezekiel falls on his face.

I latched onto Ezekiel’s response.  Confronted with God, he falls prostrate before Him.

I wonder sometimes what it will be like when I meet the Lord. I have so many questions. But when I read about Ezekiel’s encounter with God and I think about others in Scripture graced with even the slightest glimpse of God, my imagination about what I might say or do when I meet God, stops.

I have come to believe that like Ezekiel, I will simply fall on my face in humility, reverence and awe. God is so big, so great, so holy and powerful and… that I suspect the only response this mortal human will have will be to fall before Him.

What a day, what a marvelous day that will be…

Lord, I ask that as I read Your word, that as I live for You, that as I worship You daily by myself and weekly with the people of God, that just once this side of eternity You would grace me with a glimpse, a glimmer, of Yourself. Lord, there is part of me that trembles to even ask, to see even a speck of Your likeness, because I know that in that instant I will be forever changed.

As You will, Lord God Almighty. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment