Wednesday, April 25: Ezekiel 12 - Are you willing to change?.

God instructs Ezekiel to perform another series of prophetic actions.  He prepares for exile and leaves the city in a dramatic way. This is yet another call from God for the people to change their ways. Will they listen? Will they change?

The answer came in verses 26-27: The word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, the house of Israel is saying, 'The vision he sees is for many years from now, and he prophesies about the distant future.' I read their response again and again… 'The vision he sees is for many years from now, and he prophesies about the distant future.'

The people understand Ezekiel is a prophet, but they are so stubborn and so unwilling to change their lives that they interpret this word from the Lord as a distant future word.

Think about what is playing out in this chapter. The people recognize that Ezekiel’s words are true and will happen. Yes, God will judge and send Jerusalem into exile, BUT not now, sometime in the distant future, which means we don’t have to change. It won’t affect us!!!

I’m incredulous at their response…

Without noticing, a still small voice within me spoke up, “Bill, don’t get to smug. How many times have I spoken to you, asking you to do something and you didn’t do it? How many times have I prompted you with a nudge to make a call or reach out to someone and you never got around to it? How many times have you read something in My Word that connected with you but yet you closed The Book and by the time you got into the rest of your day, the life-change thought was gone? Bill, that is no different that Israel’s actions…”

That word stung, God had me…

Oh, God, I am sorry for avoiding not doing or changing as You have shown me. Words are not present. I am a sin-filled man. Please forgive me… Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment