Tuesday, April 3: Hebrews 6- Don't become lazy.

The opening of this chapter is always a challenge for me spiritually… and it was again this morning. It puts a bit of the ‘fear of God’ in me, which is not a bad thing.

The writer, under Holy Spirit inspiration, brings his argument to its conclusion with verse 12: We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

That’s it! He does not want us to become lazy. Instead he is hoping to inspire us to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

“Don’t become lazy in your faith…” the Spirit pounds that into my skull.

So I began to think about what I do when I am lazy about something…

#1: I procrastinate; I avoid the thing I know I should do.

#2: I do other things, sometimes worthwhile things and sometime innocuous time wasters.

#3: Another trick I use to procrastinate is to slow work. I kind of start what I should do and I get ready to do what I should do. However, I don’t put my mind and heart into it, which means I don’t actually get anything accomplished because I run out of time.

#4: I have other ‘lazy’ tricks like, “Oh, I am tired, or I need time for myself, etc.”

Bottom line is that I can be lazy about things including my faith. The message of Hebrews 6:12 hits again. Instead of falling into my ‘lazy mode’ I should imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

Lord, help me to become as good at imitating giants of the faith as I am about being lazy in my faith. Lor,d grant me the perseverance to put my heart, soul, mind and strength into my following of You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment