Saturday, April 14: - Ezekiel 3 - Watchman.

For years this word-picture of God making Ezekiel a watchman has been a powerful image for me. Whenever I come to this chapter it confronts me. I feel as if I, too, am called to be a watchman.

"Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.

"Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before him, he will die. Since you did not warn him, he will die for his sin. The righteous things he did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the righteous man not to sin and he does not sin, he will surely live because he took warning, and you will have saved yourself" (17-21).

In this picture, individuals are always accountable for their own actions, whether warned by a watchman or not, they will be judged accordingly.

The watchman’s task is to watch and warn people when he sees people turning to wickedness. Their response to the watchman is always their choice. The watchman’s fate depends on his obedience. If he warns them, then no matter their choice, he is not held responsible. However, if he doesn’t warn them and they fall into sin and judgment, the same judgment they receive, he will receive.

Obedience for the watchman is a two-edged sword; personal obedience to live as God wants a person to live and watchman obedience to warn people, both righteous and unrighteous, when they turn to sin.

My sense is that:

·         as parents we are watchman for our families,

·         as bosses we are watchman for our departments,

·         as elders we are watchman for our churches

·         as pastors we are watchman for our churches and denominations

As Christians, could it be that we are watchmen for our circles of influence?  Think about it.

Oh, God, give me strength as a watchman to speak when I should speak and to NEVER shrink back when I see people in my sphere of influence turn into sin. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment