Friday, January 18: Genesis 16- Waiting .

Oh, the mess we create when we try to do God’s job for God. God made a promise, guaranteed it in fact. I wrote about that yesterday. Now in the very next chapter, Sarai and Abram are taking matters into their own hands and what a mess they make. There is blaming, outside of marriage sex, hard feelings galore, bitterness and the son born will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers" (12). Oh, how that has proven true over the millennia.

What would Abram and Sarai’s alternative have been?   To wait. To wait on God, to continue to live faithfully and wait for God to do what He said He would do, give Abram a son through Sarai, his wife.

Waiting is not my best suit… waiting is not the best suit for many of us…

I have to be careful that resignation and/or resentment do not blossom when I wait. I want things now. In this I am very much a product of my culture and society. It is not a good quality.

I sit this morning realizing how often and how long God asked His people to wait… to wait for His timing.

Is there a place in your life where God is asking you to wait right now? I am asking that of myself ,too. What does it mean to live faithfully during your time of waiting???

This is something for me to chew on this day…

Lord, I know I am not a good waiter. I need Your help, Your strength, to faithfully wait for Your promises to be fulfilled in my life. Show me, Jesus, what faithful waiting looks like for me right now. I pray in Your name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment