Tuesday, January 15: Genesis 13- Trusting God when promises are in process.

I am impressed with Abram’s faith displayed in this chapter. Abram knows God promised to give his offspring the land (Gen 12:7). As of yet Abram had no offspring and now both his men and Lot’s men were quarreling because they had too much livestock to live in the same area.

What does Abram do? He lets Lot pick. “Lot, you get first dibs.  Go to whatever portion of the land you want and I will go somewhere else.”

I see that as an incredible act of faith. Abram had a sense that God was watching out for him so he didn’t need to claim the best because, after all, God had promised it to him. Instead, Abram allowed Lot to choose. God, after all, can bless Abram wherever he goes.

From a human perspective Abram’s offer was a stroke of genius. Allowing Lot to choose kept hard feelings to a minimum. Lot was honored and the chances of future clashes significantly reduced.

From a faith perspective Abram trusted that no matter what the move, God’s promise still stood and God would bring it to pass. God’s promise was in progress but Abram didn’t know how things would work out…

Abram didn’t always display this depth of faith but on this day and in this decision he did.

Lord, you are showing me that real faith impacts life decisions. As I believe, so I will act. In fact, actions put faith on display. Actions cause a person’s faith to become visible.

Actions make faith visible.

Now that’s a profound thought, which leads to an introspective question. If an outsider, examined my actions, in what would s/he say I put my faith?

Lord, I sit with that question…

Help me adjust my life so that You are the obvious answer… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment