Tuesday, January 29: Genesis 25- Impulsive and opportunistic.

As I watch the linage of God’s people unfold, I notice each one has his/her faults and besetting sin-traits.

Esau was impulsive, a man who in a moment of hunger and exhaustion gave away his birthright as firstborn for a bowl of soup. Interestingly, the text says he ‘despised’ his birthright, he showed contempt for it, which translated, means he despised his heritage. This was not some calculated thought-filled move but rather an impulsive move by a man who could not show self-control and had no forethought. We all have our weakness and faults where sin has its clutches in us.

Jacob on the other hand was shrewd, always willing to seize an opportunity to better himself by taking advantage of others. He was probably also devious, seeking ways and times to take advantage of others. As his name suggests, he was a ‘usurper’!

As I think about these men, I am realizing that I have my besetting sin-traits..sins that manifest themselves in my life over and over again.

This morning is a good time to bring into the light some of my besetting sins that Jesus might begin working with my through His Holy Spirit to gain victory in these areas…

Lord, bring my inner self into the light where I can see it and surrender my sin-traits to You for healing and deliverance, or both.  Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment