Saturday, January 5: Genesis 5- Awed by God.

I was fascinated by the description of the creation of humanity as the chapter opens.  This is the third such description (see Genesis 1 & 2 for the others). I think it was the simplicity of the description that caught my attention.
When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. He created them male and female and blessed them. And when they were created, he called them "man."
Grammarians would probably have a nightmare reading these sentences, with the singular and plural pronouns growing off the word ‘man.’
I saw profoundness is all of this… man as singular, man as plural, man as ‘him’ man as ‘them, male and female.’ One constant is God and that God created ‘man,’ however you use the word.
I spent the remainder of my time contemplating God the Creator.  How God created man, as in ‘humankind’, and God created man, as in ‘individual men and women’.
As I rolled all of this around in my thoughts, a profound awe and marvel for God grew within me.
Are you awed by God? I am and my awe grows seemingly every time I spend time with Him in His Word.
Lord, I look forward to tomorrow, when I can spend time with others worshipping You and praising You. And Lord even more, there will be people gathered all around this globe worshipping You in different languages and cultures and in some mystical way I will be with all these sisters and brothers as we worship You –Father, Son and Holy Spirit- as the one true and only God.
Oh, God, what a joy that will be … Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment