Wednesday, January 2: Genesis 2- Take care of it .

I notice a contrast between verse 15 in today’s reading (The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it) and the idea of “rule over” in chapter 1:28 (God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over …") And I found myself pondering our (humanity’s) responsibility to care for the earth.
‘Rule over’ creates images in my mind of getting whatever I want. I rule, therefore I get what I want. ‘Take care of’ is a softer image. I think of a mom caring for her baby. I just spent a few days with friends who are dog people.  Watching them take care of Rosie is a tender thing. I checked the meaning of the word and sure enough it means “to exercise great care over.” The caregiver provides for the needs of the care receiver.
When I apply this to the earth, it suggests that I have a responsibility to live in such a way as to maintain the earth and not harm it for future inhabitants of the earth.
The implications of this are huge. I decided to ponder it personally as opposed to say, nationally. How can I live up to God’s directive to take care of the earth? Some quick thoughts…
  • Driving responsibly….not guzzling gas for the sake of convenience only.
  • Recycling…my town makes this easy with one-bin recycling, and utilizing recycled consumables.
  • Buying a water bottle and refilling it rather than going through 100s of disposable plastic bottles.
  • Similarly, using a mug for coffee & tea at work rather than grabbing a paper cup each time.
  • Composting when possible rather than filling landfills (which are often packed so tight that things don’t decompose naturally) with vegetable consumables.
If you have other ideas or comments and let me know.
What struck me this morning is that these practical ways of ‘living green’ are Biblically faithful and honoring to God. 
Lord, thank You for the world and the earth You have given us. In light of Genesis 2 help me to do what I can to take care of this earth you have given to me, to us, to those who will come after us until the time You return and bring with You the new heaven and new earth. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment