Saturday, January 26: Genesis 23- .

The inevitability of life… Sarah dies. At 120, 30 years after Isaac was born and how many years after she married Abraham, Sarah died.

The older I grow and the longer I am married myself, the more fascinating I find this chapter. Or maybe the word is perplexing. The author, Moses, chooses to focus in on the transaction of buying a burial plot instead of Abraham’s grief or sorrow. In fact the latter is summed up in one partial sentence, and Abraham went to mourn for Sarah and to weep over her (2).

Historically Moses did us a great favor by giving us an incredible glimpse into the social life and business life of the ancient world. But I found myself pondering the eventualities of life… and particularly death of a loved one.

I have not experienced this emotion with a close loved one yet in my life. Both of my parents are still living (in their 90’s) and all of my siblings and their children are all alive. One nephew died at a few months old but I was in high school and not overly connected at the time. And all of my in-law parents and siblings are all living. As an adult, I have yet to bury a close relative.

This story caused me to think about how important my family and especially my wife and children are to me.

And the nudge, I believe of the Spirit came, “Bill, how well are you appreciating and expressing the love you have for your family while they are still living with you?”

This hit me. I surely don’t want to wait till someone dies and then have to deal with the guilt of thinking I wish I had expressed my love more clearly…

Wow, I never expected my time with Jesus to take me to this place today…

Lord, Jesus, thank You for the gift of my family. Help me to get better at appreciating them and loving them. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment