Thursday, January 10: Genesis 9- Marred by sin.

Noah and the occupants of the ark get a clean start. Societal evils have been purged from the face of the earth.  Just imagine that! It truly is a new day and a new world with no external sin-temptations!

So what happens? Sin happens!

The first post-ark story told about life after the flood is a sin story. Noah gets drunk, and Ham sees his father’s nakedness and invites his brothers to join him in seeing dad’s nakedness… SIN.

Sadly this reminds me that sin comes from within. Oh, external invitations to sin in our world are plenty and are enticing. But even if all external sin enticements disappeared –as they did for Noah and his family- I would find a way to sin because sin is a heart issue.

Scripture teaches that we are sin-filled to the core, every last one of us. And it is absolutely true. Every day I must deal with my propensity to sin, often emerging as selfishness. As God warned Cain, sin is crouching at the door, it desires to have you, but you must master it (Gen 4:7). And the door of sin is my own heart…

Lord, help me to listen to Your Holy Spirit, that I might master the sin impulses in my life and NOT sin against You. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

An additional tidbit… I wonder if at initial creation humans were herbivores? Genesis 1:29: Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Only after the flood do we hear Genesis 9:3: Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Hmmm….something to ponder…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment