Monday, January 28: Genesis 24- Prayer.

Even though I cannot honestly relate to the story of choosing a wife for a son, I found this passage fascinating as I read it through the eyes of the servant. He is a faithful and honest man. I loved the subtle ways his faith in the Lord played itself out in the finding of Rebecca.

First the servant has his dialogue with the Lord about how he will know the woman is from the Lord. Then as the scenario is playing itself out, the account reads: Without saying a word, the man watched her closely to learn whether or not the LORD had made his journey successful (21). The servant was in a constant internal dialogue waiting for the Lord to confirm, in his spirit, that this woman was the woman.

This observation connected with me deeply. It was not simply that she would say the certain words he asked God to have her say. Oh, that was key but the servant was staying close to the Lord, listening, watching and discerning for the move of the Spirit and the internal confirmation that this beautiful woman was God’s choice for his master’s son.

Life with Jesus is like that.  It’s a constant internal dialogue and awareness that God is nudging you or me this way or that. Question is…do I have the awareness of this unnamed servant who was constantly listening for the leading of the Lord?

This is prayer… a connection with the Lord speaking to and listening for His words to lead us.

Lord, Jesus, may I be in constant connection with You throughout today… the kind of connection that prompts me to speak or serve or go and do as this servant had in choosing Rebecca to be the wife of Isaac. Holy Spirit, be with me today, making the voice of my Lord Jesus clear to me, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment