Thursday, January 17: Genesis 15- God guarantees it all.

So much is happening in this chapter, which culminates with a covenant God makes with Abram. In the ancient world when two parties made a covenant they would cut an animal and the lesser of the two parties would symbolically pass between the two halves of the carcass. With this action the lesser party said, in effect, if I break this covenant, then do to me what I have done to this animal.

What is so astounding is that God, symbolized by the smoking fire pot, is the one who passes through the sacrificed heifer! When the sun had set and darkness had fallen, a smoking firepot with a blazing torch appeared and passed between the pieces. On that day the LORD made a covenant with Abram and said, "To your descendants I give this land … God put His name on the line with this covenant guaranteeing that Abram would become a great nation.

Whenever I read this I sit in awe of God. God guarantees the covenant!

Lord, what can I say? Tthank You! Thank You!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment