Thursday, January 24: Genesis 21-What's in a name?.

Where did I hear the whisper of the Lord this morning? That thought ran through my mind as I finished reading this chapter. Three distinct scenes make up this chapter. I paused and pondered. God’s faithfulness; section one, the birth of Isaac. Man’s capacity to hate or God’s faithfulness; section two, sending away of Hagar. The giving of our word, treaties; section three.

I was drawn to section one, but found myself contemplating the name Isaac, which means ‘laughter’. Names, particularly in ancient times, represented something significant about the one named. Now I don’t know if I would want to grow up with the name laugh or laughter (although I do have a friend who named a son Laughter), and yet the name is both fitting and a great opener to God’s wonder. Imagine Isaac –Laughter- telling the story of his name, “…and then at 90, you heard me right, 90, my mom conceived me. I mean dad was 100! You know what God promises He delivers. I am living proof of this…”

I found myself smiling as I thought about the wonder of God and the ways God has showed up and revealed Himself to me. Is God good or what?  This is where my devotion traveled today. I pondered the goodness of God, the wonder of God…

Lord, may my life give glory to You this day and every day. Through my Lord, Jesus, and in the power of the Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment