Saturday, January 19: Genesis 17- Obedience.

In the midst of God’s conversation with Abraham, God spoke these words, But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year (21). I don’t recall God naming Abraham’s son before but there it is. God gave Isaac his name and God gave Abraham a specific time for the fulfillment of His promise of a son.

Sometimes God speaks a very specific word to us, like He did naming Isaac and giving a tight window for his birth. Other times God’s call is less specific, requiring us to step out in faith, as God did when He called Abram to leave his people and go to a land God would show him. Either way God expects one thing from us.. obedience.

Abraham at 99 obeyed God that very day as he and all the males in his house were circumcised. Twenty five years earlier when God told Abram to leave his people and country, Abram left straight away (Genesis 12:4). 

How are you in the obedience department? Think about it… I am.

Lord, God, fill me with such awe, wonder and fear of You that I dare not live anyway but in obedience before You. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment