Friday, January 25: Genesis 22- God did what He would not allow Abraham to do.

Every time I come to this chapter I shudder. How could God? How could God ask this of Abraham?

How could Abraham? How could Abraham go through with it, and do so immediately (3)?

The absolute and unconditional obedience Abraham displays blows me away, time and time again. I want to obey. I try to obey. But this?! Images of my two sons and my daughter flash in my mind. I see them at their present ages, I see them as tweens, Isaac’s age. I see them as little children. I cannot imagine that I could/would have been obedient like Abraham. I have goose bumps thinking about this.

It happens every time I read and attempt to enter this chapter.

In addition to the above, verse 8 hit me like never before. The text reads, Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two of them went on together. I know the story. I know about the ram caught in the thicket.  Then one word flashed in my thoughts…Jesus.

God did provide the sacrifice that day with the ram. And God provided the ultimate sacrifice, God’s one and only Son, Jesus. Father God did what He would not allow Abraham to do! God sacrificed His son as the offering for our sin and rebellion and inability to obey!

I sat in silence… marveling at the Father’s love for us.

No words seemed adequate.

Thank You, Oh my Father, for giving us Your Son… Thank You… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment