Thursday, January 31: Genesis 27- Sibling Rivalry.

Having siblings, and with two of my three being boys, I understand something of sibling rivalry. But nothing like this!

This is the second time Jacob deceived Esau out of a significant element of his heritage. This time the deception was premeditated, a plan of his mother,, Rebekah. Don’t miss Jacob’s deceptive heart. Even  though mom planned it, he was fully complicit and certainly his life actions reveal a sneaky and deceptive trait! It is not hard for me to imagine Jacob manipulating mom into concocting this scheme so that if it goes bad he can say, “It wasn’t me!”

It blows me away that Isaac and God allow this, and that Jacob –the deceiver and schemer that he is- is the God-blessed one through whom God chose to work His salvation plan.

I sit here marveling how God uses someone like Jacob with such obvious flaws!

Then, as if timed with pressing the exclamation mark key on my computer, an image flashes in my head… the person with obvious flaws might as well be ME!

I may not be as overt as Jacob but I know all too well certain flaws that I have and yet in His grace, God uses me.

In an instant I see this story from another angle.  If God can use the likes of Jacob, He can use me and you, as imperfect as we are! Thank you, Lord!

Lord, God, thank You for Your grace. I surrender myself and my life to You. Use me as You wish for the benefit of Your kingdom and Your world. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment