Monday, May 12: 1Samuel 20- Friendship.

David and Jonathan enjoyed a tremendous friendship and this chapter brings it to light more than any other that I know.

Friendship is a precious gift. There are some Christian-religious songs that sing about how God or Jesus is all we need. In some ways that is true. But in others, it is not. From the beginning we humans were created to live in relationship. Remember God’s words to Adam, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him" (Genesis 2:18). Marriage is certainly the fullest human expression of relationship/friendship that we were created for but it is not the only one.

Family, extended family, and friendships are also key. David and Jonathan had one of those friendships that ran deep and lasted a lifetime.

At this point I began to think of my friends… thanking the Lord for them. You might do well to do the same.

Friendship is a beautiful thing…

Lord, thank You for the friends I have. Men and women across the decades who have been there with and for me and I for them. I wouldn’t be who I am without them. Thank You, Lord, for making us for relationship.

And thank You, Lord, for relating to us as friend (John 15:15) as well as Savior and Lord. I bless and thank You, Lord, too!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment