Saturday, May 24: 1Samuel 31- The end comes for all of us.

And so Saul dies… along with his sons. No fanfare for a king and little honor as he falls on his sword to avoid capture by the Philistines.

I don’t give much thought to my own mortality. And I certainly don’t want to live with the reality of death looming over me all the time. But there probably is some wisdom to take stock in the fact that everyone dies. Some may live into their 90s, others decades less, but we all die some day. And compared to eternity (if I take Scripture at its word) 20, 50, 90, 110 amounts to little more than a blip on the screen. So it seems prudent to occasionally take stoke in the reality of death and ask, “Am I living so that after death I gain the reward of life forever more with God in heaven?” An eternity of torment in hell is a frightening thought.

And so today I ponder my mortality. I am far from perfect and if life came down to a balance scale I wonder how I would fare.

But I don’t have to worry about whether I am better than most, insuring I make the cut. I don’t have to worry because the Bible describes a grace-filled road to eternity, faith in Jesus Christ.

Jesus has promised salvation and eternal life to all who believe in Him. John 3:16 is one such promise. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

With this thought, my pondering morphed to praise and thanksgiving to my God -Father, Son and Holy Spirit- for providing a guaranteed way of salvation. No worry, just living faith in Jesus.

I hope you know the joy of salvation as well…

Thank You, Father. Thank You, Jesus. Thank You, Holy Spirit. Alleluia. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment