Monday, May 26: 2Samuel 1- Keeping our heart from bitterness.

When David hears the news of Saul’s death, he grieves. Then David and all the men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them. They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul and his son Jonathan… (11-12).

The scene hit me. David had been running for years from Saul who had tried on multiple occasions to kill him. David professed his allegiance to Saul, the Lord’s anointed. BUT I wondered after all those years for running and mistreatment and lies, how did David keep his heart from becoming bitter and angry against Saul, his pursuer?

The scriptures do not give an answer to my question; I continued to ponder this question.

God promises peace to those whose mind is stayed on Him…

God’s Word teaches that forgiveness, true forgiveness, blesses and protects one’s heart…

Scripture repeatedly teaches that God answers our prayers…

Maybe David kept his heart ‘stayed’ on the Lord. Maybe David truly forgave Saul for his misdeeds. Maybe David asked the Lord to protect his heart as he ran from Saul.

I do not know. Nor will I ever know what David did but somehow he was able to keep his heart from growing bitter against Saul.

This gives me hope that I, too, do not have to give into bitterness with rivals or those who hurt and repeatedly hurt me maliciously.

And this shows me that following Jesus truly can and will make a difference in my life.

I hope you know the wonder of grace through a life that is growing in God –Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit. If you do not know this wonder and grace then please speak with the Lord right now and pledge your allegiance and love to God as Lord and Savior.

Lord, God, thank You for teaching me Your ways. I have much still to learn, but my life is all the richer for knowing and following You and Your Word. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment